Friday, 19 April 2013

My development over this year....- Working with colour


At the beginning of the year , my work was still focusing on very little colour, me favouring black and white or greyscale images which was fine for the work I was doing at the time, before this year I didn't really see the point to much colour in my work as I didn't feel confident using it  and I preferred to stay with greyscale images.

But as the year progressed and I began to experiment more with colour and tone , I began to see my work morphing.


I began to use more colour in my work , this began with my Narrative illustration module , where I discovered metallic Copic markers, My own visual style changed slightly for this project and it seemed that my use of colour was effected by this , It was a small change but my illustrations began to have a bit more vivid colour but I didn't seem to venture far from my greys and blacks.

It was when I started the Illustration for Children's Books module that I really saw my outlook on colour change ,


by experimenting with colour palettes and figuring out which colours married well together and which didn't I was able to begin to see which colours I tended to use more predominantly and then find my own specific colour scheme which I enjoyed working with. I began to use quite a bit of decorative texture and pattern in my work too by this stage which really enhanced my work .

The best example of these two elements together was for the double page spreads for my children's book , where I married my new found knowledge of colour schemes and patterns to develop colour illustrations that I was very happy with , particularly with the image below where I worked very hard to develop a specific colour scheme  for the characters of the Dwarves , I gave each dwarf a unique pattern and clothing but also defined which were related by the use of  similar colour and a varying degrees of decoration around the patterns.




No comments:

Post a Comment